of the existing building facade, avoiding total demolition of the building and
minimizing the generation of demolition waste.
and revitalization of the street and the district of Sai Ying Pun.
Ying Pun, Hong Kong
Engineer: Mouchel Asia
Engineer: Architectural Services Department
Gammon Construction Ltd.
surveyor: Architectural Services Department
Date of original
building construction: 1891
construction date: 2001
origin: Henry H Richardson
of the Building
in 1891, the building was used as a nurses’ quarter until the Second World
War. It was turned into a mental hospital after the war and continued to
function as such until 1962, and switched back to out patient services until
1971. The building remained unoccupied and fell into disrepair and was badly
ruined by two fires.
of the Building
original north façade had 18 arches with a pediment marking the middle and
turrets at the ends to form a classically proportioned structure. Six more
arches were added during the extension uphill. The asymmetry arising from its
location on the sloping High Street was skillfully balanced out by the use of
a stone plinth to lift the verandah off the street to present a gradation of
of the new Building
building was the only specimen of its kind in Hong Kong, but the interior was
in a very bad condition after being left vacant for so long. Fire had
destroyed much of it and the roof had collapsed. Therefore the option of
keeping the existing façade and constructing a new building was considered.
This approach and the site conditions allowed the construction of a larger
building (taller and wider than the original one) providing space and
flexibility for the new functions and new requirements. It avoids total
demolition of the building and enhances historical heritage and vitality to
the district of Sai Ying Pun.
the façade affected the construction of the community complex behind because
it stood in the way of the site access. There was also concern that the façade
might collapse when its derelict portion was being demolished. To prevent
this, the cross walls were demolished in stages, but this further reduced the
amount of room available for construction of the new building. Both temporary
and permanent ties were also used to hold the façade in place. Differential
settlement was also a potential concern as the façade stood on a much
shallower foundation. Repair works were carried out and the original first
floor slab was demolished and replaced with a concrete slab fixed with resin