Jin-Guang TENG BEng, PhD, FHKEng,CorrFRSE, FHKIE, FIIFC, FIStructE
Ko Jan Ming Professor in Sustainable Structures and Materials
Chair Professor of Structural Engineering
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
Academician of Chinese Academy of Sciences
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong, China
Tel: (852) 2766 6012 Fax: (852) 2766 1354
Professor Jin-Guang Teng received his BEng degree from Zhejiang University in 1983 and his PhD degree from the University of Sydney in 1990 . He was a Senior Lecturer at James Cook University in Queensland, Australia before joining the Department of Civil and Structural Engineering of The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU). He served as a Lecturer/Assistant Professor from 1994 to 1997, and was promoted to Associate Professor in 1997, Professor in 1999, and Chair Professor of Structural Engineering in 2005. He served as Associate Dean (Research) of the Faculty of Construction and Land Use (renamed as the Faculty of Construction and Environment in September 2011) from October 2005 to August 2006 and served as Dean of the Faculty from September 2007 to June 2013. He also served as an Associate Vice President of PolyU from September 2006 to June 2010. He is a Fellow of the Hong Kong Academy of Engineering Sciences as well as the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers, and served as the founding President of the International Institute for FRP in Construction (IIFC) from 2003 to 2006.
His research interests include emerging structural materials and systems, the structural use of fibre-reinforced polymer (FRP) composites in construction, seismic assessment and retrofit of structures, life-cycle structural engineering, steel structures, and thin-walled structures.His publications include over 170 SCI journal papers which have attracted over 4,800 citations and led to an H-index of 36 according to the Web of Science. In addition, he is the lead author of the book "FRP-Strengthened RC Structures" published by John Wiley and Sons in 2002, a co-editor of the book" Buckling of Thin Metal Shells" published by Spon Press in 2004 (with Professor J.M. Rotter), and a co-editor of the book "Strengthening and Rehabilitation of Civil Infrastructures Using FRP Composites" published by Woodhead Publishing Limited in 2008 (with Professor L.C. Hollaway). In addition to a large number of publications, Professor Teng is the inventor of FRP-steel-concrete double-skin tubular members, and has played a major role in the development of the Chinese national standard entitled "Technical Code for Infrastructure Application of FRP Composites". His research contributions have been recognised by the following awards/prizes:
- State Natural Science Award of China (Second Class) for 2013 (First of 4 Awardees)
- Fellow, Hong Kong Academy of Engineering Sciences (FHKEng), December 2013
- CICE 2010 Award for Best Paper for Research on Strengthening of Existing Structures from the International Institute for FRP in Construction (IIFC), 2010
- IIFC Medal, International Institute for FRP in Construction, 2008
- Journal of Composites for Construction Best Paper Award (Honourable Mention Applications Paper for 2007) from the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- ASCE State-of-the-Art of Civil Engineering Award from the American Society of Civil Engineers, 2006
- The 2005 Harting Award from the Society for Experimental Mechanics, 2005
- Fellow, International Institute for FRP in Construction, 2004
- CICE 2004 Award for Best Paper for Research on FRP Composites for Structures from the International Institute for FRP in Construction, 2004
- Howard Medal from the Institution of Civil Engineers, UK, 2004
- Natural Science Award from the Ministry of Education (First Class) for 2003, China, (Second of 10 Awardees)
- Faculty Award for Outstanding Performance/Achievement in Teaching, Faculty of Construction and Land Use, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, 2003
- Distinguished Young Scholar Award from the Natural Science Foundation of China (Category B: Overseas, Hong Kong and Macau Young Scholars), 2004
- Journal of Composites for Construction Best Paper Award (Honourable Mention Applications Paper for 2001) from the American Society of Civil Engineers
- President's Award for Outstanding Performance/Achievement 2000 in Research and Scholarly Activities, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, 2001
Professor Teng served as the founding President of the International Institute for FRP in Construction (IIFC) from 2003 to 2006. He is the current Chairman of the Advisory Committee of IIFC. The aim of the Institute is to advance the understanding and the application of fibre-reinforced polymer (FRP) composites in the civil infrastructure, in the service of the engineering profession and society.
Professor Teng is one of the two Editors-in-Chief of the international journal Advances in Structural Engineering, and a former Associate Editor of the Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE. He is currently a member of the editorial boards of the following 7 SCI journals: (1) Engineering Structures; (2) Journal of Composites for Construction, ASCE; (3) Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, ASCE; (4) Construction and Building Materials; (5) Thin-Walled Structures; (6) Steel and Composite Structures; and (7) Advanced Steel Construction. Professor Teng served as a member of the Engineering Panel of the Research Grants Council of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region from 2001-2006. He has also served as a referee for national research funding schemes in China, UK, Canada, Australia, Italy, Portugal, South Africa, Israel and for numerous international journals.
Professor Teng has served as Chairmen/Vice-Chairman/Co-Chairman of Organizing Committee for a number of significant international conferences held in Hong Kong, including:
- First (December 1996), Second (December 1999) and Third (December 2002) International Conferences on Advances in Steel Structures (Vice-Chairman or Co-Chairman)
- International Conference on FRP Composites in Civil Engineering, December 2001, (Chairman)
- International Symposium on Bond Behaviour of FRP in Structures, December 2005 (Co-Chairman)
- First International Conference on Sustainable Urbanization, December 2010 (Chairman)
- First International Conference on Performance-based and Life-cycle Structural Engineering, December 2012 (Chairman)
Professor Teng has been a member of the Scientific/Advisory/Steering Committees of over 120 international and national conferences, and has delivered keynote/invited presentations at some 70 conferences/symposia. Some of the international conferences at which he has delivered/will deliver plenary keynote lectures are:
Professor Teng has taught a wide range of subjects since 1991, both within and outside the structural engineering area. At The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, he has taught Structural Analysis I, Tall Building Structures, and parts of Computational Structural Mechanics and Engineering Mathematics & Analysis. He was the Award Co-ordinator for both the MSc Programme in Civil Engineering and the MSc Programme in Structural Engineering for many years. For his contributions to teaching, he received the Faculty Award for Outstanding Performance/Achievement in Teaching from The Hong Kong Polytechnic University in 2003.
- Ninth International Conferences and Exhibitions on Structural Faults & Repair, July 2001, London, UK;
- Tenth International Conferences and Exhibitions on Structural Faults & Repair, July 2003, London, UK;
- Second International Conference on Advanced Polymer Composites for Structural Applications in Construction, University of Surrey, UK, April 2004,;
- Fourth International Conference on Advanced Composite Materials in Bridges and Structures, Calgary, Alberta, Canada, July 2004;
- Second International Conference on FRP Composites in Civil Engineering, University of Adelaide, Australia, December 2004;
- 9th International Symposium on Structural Engineering for Young Experts (ISSEYE-9), 18-21 August 2006, Fuzhou and Xiamen, China;
- Second International fib Congress, 5-8 June 2006, Naples, Italy.
- Eleventh International Conference and Exhibition on Structural Faults & Repair, June 2006, Edinburgh, UK;
- Third International Conference on Advanced Polymer Composites for Structural Applications in Construction, ACIC 2007, University of Bath, UK, 2-4 April 2007;
- Third International Conference on Structural Engineering, Mechanics and Computation (SEMC 2007), 10-12 September 2007, Cape Town, South Africa;
- First Asia-Pacific Conference on FRP in Structures (APFIS 2007), 12-14 December 2007, Hong Kong, China.
- Fifth International Conference on Thin-walled Structures, 18-20 June 2008, Brisbane, Australia;
- Fourth International Conference on FRP Composites in Civil Engineering (CICE 2008), 22-24 July 2008 , Zurich, Switzerland (IIFC Distinguished Lecture);
- Tenth International Symposium on Structural Engineering for Young Experts (ISSEYE-10), 19-21 October, 2008, Changsha, China;
- Ninth International Symposium on Fibre-Reinforced Polymer Reinforcement for Concrete Structures (FRPRCS-9), Sydney, Australia, 13-15 July 2009; and
- Third International Symposium on Innovation & Sustainability of Structures in Civil Engineering 2009 (ISISS 2009), Guangzhou, P.R. China, 28-30 November 2009;
- Fifth International Conference on FRP Composites in Civil Engineering (CICE 2010), Beijing, China, 27-29 September 2010;
- Sixth International Conference on Thin-Walled Structures, Timisoara, Romania, 5-7 September 2011; and
- Fourth International Symposium on Innovation & Sustainability of Structures in Civil Engineering 2011 (ISISS 2011), Xiamen, P.R. China, 29-30 October 2011.
- Third Asia Pacific Conference on FRP in Structures (APFIS 2012), Sapporo, Japan, 2-4 February 2012.
- Second International Conference on Smart Monitoring, Assessment and Rehabilitation of Civil Structures (SMAR 2013), Istanbul, Turkey, 9-11 September 2013.
- Seventh International Conference on Bridge Maintenance, Safety and Management, Shanghai, China, 7-11 July 2014 (to be delivered).
- Seventh International Conference on FRP Composites in Civil Engineering (CICE 2014), 20-22 August 2014, Vancouver, Canada (to be delivered).
- Eleventh International Congress on Advances in Civil Engineering, Istanbul, Turkey 21-25 October, 2014 (to be delivered).
- Twenty-third Australasian Conference on the Mechanics of Structures and Materials (ACMSM23), Byron Bay, Australia, 9-12 December 2014 (to be delivered).